Ways to Reduce Packaging Costs
Why a company would want to actively research reducing packaging costs is self-explanatory. How to reduce packaging costs requires a deeper discussion. Automation is an often-cited option for cutting costs because automating certain tasks or parts of larger processes has proven to be beneficial over the long term for both businesses and employees.
But what does that look like for your company?
If your company produces products that require packaging, such as food, pharmaceuticals, or consumer goods, you can benefit from packaging automation in two specific ways: reduced labor and material costs.
Packaging Automation for Reducing Labor Costs
Labor is expensive. Wages, benefits, payroll, and other related taxes can account for up to 70 percent of total business costs. However, high labor costs can be alleviated through packaging automation in the following ways:
- Reducing workforce requirements: Automated systems often accomplish the same task with fewer workers, lowering labor costs.
- Reducing training costs: Automation eliminates the need to train employees for certain tasks, which saves on training and onboarding expenses.
- Reducing error rates: Automation can perform tasks with a higher level of accuracy and consistency, reducing the need for rework or corrections, and ultimately saving time and labor costs.
- Reducing manual tasks: Automation can replace manual labor in certain industries, such as manufacturing and assembly.
- Reducing supply chain inefficiency: Automated systems can improve supply chain efficiency by reducing lead times and improving inventory management, which can reduce labor costs associated with supply chain management.
With automation, repetitive tasks can be performed faster and more accurately than humans, which can increase productivity and output without adding additional labor.
Packaging Automation for Reducing Material Costs
Packaging costs are rising, and are projected to rise even more. Although it’s not as high as labor costs, packaging is still significant in the total cost of production. Automation can reduce packaging material costs in the following ways:
- Minimizing material waste: Automated packaging systems can reduce waste and material costs by using only the minimum amount of packaging materials.
- Optimizing packaging design: Automated systems can analyze and optimize packaging designs to minimize the amount of material they require.
- Eliminating rework: Automation can ensure packaging is applied correctly and consistently, reducing errors and rework.
- Incorporating sustainable materials: Packaging systems can be designed to utilize more sustainable materials, such as biodegradable or recyclable materials, which can reduce waste disposal costs.
Packaging automation, when integrated strategically, can save money in one area of the business that can be reinvested in other areas. This will contribute to growth and increase profitability.
How to Reduce Packaging Costs with Wayne Automation
We want to make it easier for businesses to move forward with automation. Wayne offers best-in-class packaging solutions for every step of your end of line process. From case sealers to carrier erectors, we have everything you need for your unique packaging application. With our tray packing machines, your products will be safely loaded into their containers after case construction. We can even use our non-contact vision systems to inspect the cases after they have been closed to ensure uncompromising quality.
Every business has different requirements. Regardless of your situation, if packaging plays a big part in your business operations, an automatic case erector, sealer, or packer can definitely benefit your business.
A Real-World Example of Reducing Labor Costs with a Wayne Automation Machine
Our partner, CSD Copackers, desperately needed to change their end of line packaging process because packaging inconsistency was a major problem.
See how we helped them transition away from a clunky manual packaging system and into a smoothly operating automated packaging system.
What Do You Need Help With?
At Wayne Automation, we want to help you achieve the highest level of efficiency throughout your entire end-of-line process. Of course, the first step in creating an effective automated system is selecting the right machines for the job.
Regardless of what industrial packaging solution you may need, we welcome you to browse through our wide range of automated packaging machines and see how we can help you achieve your goals. Then give us a call. If you’re still unsure how to reduce packaging costs with automation, we will gladly take the time to answer your questions, arrange a plant tour, or set up a product demonstration so you can make the right decision for your company.
Contact us today and talk with one of our experts.